Gelvatol: Mounting Media
PVA- Sigma Chemical Cat. #P-8136
Glycerol- Sigma Chemical Cat. #G-9012
Sodium Azide- Fisher Chemical Cat. #S227-100
- Add 21 g PVA to 42 mL glycerol.
- Add 52 mL dH20.
- Add a few crystals of sodium azide.
- Add 106 mL Tris (.2M, pH=8.5).
- Stir with low heat for a few hours or until
- Clarify the mixture by centrifugation at 5000g
for 15 minutes.
- Aliquot and store either at 4 degree C.
This protocol is not exact. You will have
to add PVA in step 4 until the solution is clear and is slightly
less viscous than molasses. Refrigerate the beaker of gelvatol
overnight at 4 degrees, after step 5 and before step 6, and check
it in the morning to be sure that the viscosity is now that of
molasses. If it is, continue on to step 6. If it is too viscous,
add a little more glycerol to bring the viscosity down and then
go on to step 6. If it is not viscous enough, add more PVA with
heat and refrigerate for a few more hours to check the viscosity
before going on to step 6.
0.2 M Tris buffer, pH8.5:
- Add 12.1 g of Trizma base, and add 500 dH20.
Stir until dissolved.
- Bring pH down to 8.5 with concentrated HCl.